"He'll sit there and go, Dipsy... Po... Dipsy... Po. I honestly don't think he knows colors. Just Teletubbies."

6.05.2004

Cate Reviews 'Harry Potter'

Loved

  • Take a wild guess at who was my favorite. No, really. For serious. I think we all know that Emma Thompson rocks all of our faces off. And is deeply bizarre. She is my idol.


  • The part of me that not-so-secretely wants to be a director absolutely adores Alfonso Cuaron. (And Christopher Guest. This is why we know I'm a free-spirit, and I don't even have to wear knit hats! ::nod to Angie::



  • Liked

  • Emma Watson (who I loathed in the first two) and Rupert Grint (who I have always liked quite a lot) are becoming much better actors.


  • I really agreed with all the changes that they made from the book, except for the ending.


  • I loved the detail of Lupin liking music. I can't remember if that was a part of the book; I haven't read it in a while, but it was a very nice little detail. (No, I'm not detail-oriented at all.)



  • Just Okay

  • Daniel Radcliffe is not advancing at the same speed his co-stars are as far as acting goes. It's not that he's terrible, it's just that he's not up-to-par, in my opinion. (I really hate to mock child actors unless they're utterly terrible.)


  • Sucky, sucky previews. Or at least we had one that ruined it all for me, A Cinderella Story. And Catwoman, which they could at least try to make look remotely good. I can't even remember the other ones, those just ruined it all. Oh! Wait! We had The SpongeBob Squarepants Movie! How dare I forget! That is in my top-three movies I am looking forward to this year, along with The Incredibles and... okay. Never mind. Can't narrow it down to three. Napoleon Dynamite, Garden State and various others are all tied for third. Whoa. Tangent.



  • Meh

  • I really hated the ending, which was the change I hated that I mentioned above.
  • 4 Comments:

    Blogger Kate babbled mindlessly...

    Yes, I just saw it, thought the new direction was marvelous. I too am looking forward to The Incredibles, mostly because one of my favorite authors, Sarah Vowell, is doing a voice. You should check her out--Take the Cannoli and The Partly Cloudy Patriot are both great. Oh, and I had meant to mention in my other comment--I recently wrote a 4 page analysis of Sense and Sensibility (themes of contrast and dichotomty) for a writing class, it's truly a deightful book, though I'm partial to Pride and Prejudice. Anyway, that was random, but boredom has taken it's toll on me.

    8:16 PM

     
    Blogger Kellinka babbled mindlessly...

    I love Sarah Vowell! I got Take the Cannoli out of the library and read it as many times as possible before I was fined. She's hilarious in the same way that David Sedaris, one of my other favorite writers of all time, is. I love both Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice quite a lot. My mom has forbidden me to count Emma for summer reading because I "read enough girly old-fashioned English literature." She has a lot of respect for the classics, you see, like having a meltdown about how much she hated The Scarlet Letter in the middle of Barnes and Noble. (She does have the good sense to love To Kill a Mockingbird. I would divorce her as a mother if she didn't.)

    9:50 PM

     
    Blogger Kate babbled mindlessly...

    Ahh man, David Sedaris is awesome! He's coming here (Houston) for a reading at a little bookstore, which is unfortunately sold out and I didn't get tickets in time, but they're broadcasting it in the parking lot, so I'm having a David Sedaris tailgate party. If he or Sarah Vowell is ever doing a reading in your area be sure to go to it. I went to a Sarah Vowell reading in March, and got to meet her, and it was completely amazing. DS is great at readings too. Oh, and I'm ashamed to admit that I never quite made it through The Scarlet Letter...but I'm planning on reading Emma--my friend wrote her paper on it, although she didn't even read the book ("I've seen Clueless!"), and she was wacked out on adderol when she was writing it. I think she handed in some sort of Clueless-themed manifesto.

    12:13 AM

     
    Blogger Kellinka babbled mindlessly...

    That is great. I have a friend who absolutely adores Clueless, but it's just because she wants to be Cher. She hasn't the slightest clue that it's based on Jane Austen.

    As far as book readings go, we never get any. We hardly get anything around here. No good independent films, no book readings... we do get good concerts, but only because we made a new expo center last year. It's horrible.

    7:19 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home