"He'll sit there and go, Dipsy... Po... Dipsy... Po. I honestly don't think he knows colors. Just Teletubbies."

4.06.2004

Cate Defends Her Playlist, or Why Joan Cusack Rocks My Face Off

The 6ths, "As You Turn to Go": Just an excellent song. Stephin Merritt is the best songwriter. And it's on the Pieces of April soundtrack, which is a fabulous album.
Stevie Nicks, "Edge of Seventeen": Okay. I know what you are thinking, that I secretly worship Stevie Nicks. That is not so. I not-so-secretly worship Joan Cusack. Cello, School of Rock? It's not as good without Joan's crazy hand gestures, though.
PJ Harvey, "Good Fortune": Just a good song. All of her songs are good, but this is one of my favourites.
Wilco, "Heavy Metal Drummer": This is the best song on one of my all-time favourite albums ever made.
The Shins, "Young Pilgrims": These lyrics are the best strange lyrics ever. Stephin Merritt's are all deep and sensitive and whatnot, but sometimes, I need my weird musical people.
Elliott Smith, "Baby Britain": Very upbeat, and, although I've never been there, I love Britain.
Travis, "Flowers in the Window": Also quite upbeat. I don't usually like Travis but this is just a good song.
Sam Phillips, "I Need Love": I've heard it in a couple movie trailers and was surprised by the title because it's mercifully un-cheesy.
Weezer, "Island in the Sun": Possibly my favourite song of all time.
Imperial Teen, "Ivanka": Actually, "Island in the Sun" is probably tied with this song as far as my favourites go. They played this in the thirteen trailer and I just loooooved it. It sounds like the theme song of a great 70s spy show.
Jane's Addiction, "Jane Says": Fantastic song. A classic, really.
The Pixies, "Monkey Gone to Heaven": Another classic from my other favourite alt-rock band of the 90s.
Sparklehorse, "Piano Fire": I originally downloaded (shut up, I'm doing it legally now) this song because the title fit with a great inside joke of ours, but it's also quite upbeat except the lyrics are incredibly depressing.
Fleetwood Mac, "Rhiannon": Okay, this is just a good song, even if it did inspire a bunch of hippies to name their children after it. (Sorry if your name is Rhiannon. It's a very nice name. Just tends to be found on the children of hippies.)
Cake, "Short Skirt/Long Jacket": A fun, fun song that also has great crazy lyrics. I love Cake.
A Band of Bees, "Sky Holds the Sun": A calm song. To wind down with.
Her Space Holiday, "Sleepy California": McDitto.
Suzanne Vega, "Tom's Diner" : This is less calm, but it gets me all revved up for when I restart the playlist.

I don't know. I had a really crap day and I don't feel like talking about it. So if I don't write as much today as I did yesterday, you know why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home